Today, we learned about the ancient Native American culture known as the Olmecs. Scientists and historians believe they lived in Meso-America as long ago as 2,500 B.C.E. Their culture disappeared...and no one really knows why.
Among the many artifacts found where the Olmecs once lived was a strange figure many have compared to an astronaut from today. Of course, this figure was created over 2,000 years ago.
What do YOU think this artifact represents? How do primary sources sometimes leave us with more questions than answers? Post your thoughts! I can't wait to read them!
Ms. Melody Stephens is in her 21st year of teaching, 15 of which have been in 5th Grade at Emma B. Ward. The topics the author discusses in this blog are intended to be from an unbiased and neutral point of view and provide an extension of classroom instruction.
1. Show respect for cultural diversity.
2. Post your real name...nicknames and/or silly posts will be deleted.
3. Stick to the topic...posts off topic will be deleted. A blog is not an instant message or texting outlet. It is a written conversation among a group of people.
4. Post only appropriate comments. Inappropriate comments will be deleted and the IP address of the computer used to make the post will be traced.
5. Consequences for inappropriate posts may range from surrender of ALL computer privileges for the remainder of the school year to even a report made to police.